Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dreaming of Africa

Twenty-five years ago I had a big dream. The struggle against apartheid was on my mind and one morning I awoke in my home in Berkeley, California and told my brand-new husband that a spirit-guide-women-in-flowing-robes had led me across the northern border of South Africa. She took me on a long journey and I found myself somewhere on the continent surrounded by children. I didn’t know what the dream meant but I knew then that I wanted to go to Africa.

Decades have passed and great opportunities have allowed me to travel to Eastern and Western Europe, South America, and parts of Asia, but I’ve never made it to Africa. On July 5 my long awaited dream will come true. I’m flying to Llongwe, Malawi and after a 5 hour overland trip to Mzuzu, we will settle in for two and a half weeks. The apex of the trip for me will be to see the well at Njuyu village school north of Kamphenda.

Two-and-a-half years ago an 80 year old woman, perhaps an embodied version of that dream-spirit-woman, I met at a retreat inspired me to do something significant to help someone else in honor of my upcoming 50th birthday. I don’t even know that woman’s name but her challenge stuck. I determined to save all stipends, honorarium, monetary gifts and scale back unnecessary spending until I had enough to sponsor drilling a village well. I had seen a playpump well powered by children’s pushing a merry-go-round and set my sights on one like that. As Michael, my visionary husband has told me for years, “When you commit to something with full intention, the universe joins with you.” And so it was. I was asked to preach, write, lead retreats, teach and consult more than usual and the money arrived. I drank my morning coffee at home and stopped impulsively shelling out a few bucks for a midday break. My daughters gave me well money for Christmas. Then when the fund was almost topped off, my friend Don, asked how much was left and he sent in a final check. With all this abundance, I am almost eager to turn 50 on August 6th! I’ll just be back from Africa and, no doubt, still full to overflowing from the grace that has led to groundwater being a source of renewed health for some kids, a daily help to their water-toting moms, and a celebration of my very blessed life.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to hear the stories upon your return! One of my favorite things about what you have shared here, is the timing of God. He gave you this vision so early on, and many times when we receive something, we think it should play out in the next six months. But what I have learned, and your story beautifully illustrates, is that His timing is perfect. No doubt when you arrive, there will be many confirmations that this was THE year for the well to be dug! Blessings, and Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete